In parts of the country it’s called pop or soda, and here in the south we call it by a brand name. Whatever name it goes by, you may want to rethink what your drinking. Soft drinks wreak havoc on overall health, especially dental health.
When a soda is consumed it is like rinsing your mouth with sugar and acid. Even diet sodas are very acidic. The sugar and acid feeds the bacteria already in your mouth. This bacteria then produces even more acid, which results in tooth decay and dissolves the enamel of the teeth.
Soft drinks are the most consumed food in America, and a two liter bottle contains 54 teaspoons of sugar.
The Good News
You can reduce your chance of decay by taking the following steps:
- Substitute as much as possible for less sugary drinks like water or milk.
- Try only having soda at meal times. Sipping throughout the day is the quickest way to get decay.
- Use a straw to help keep the liquid off of your teeth.
- Rinse with water after having a soda to help remove the residue of the drink, which can sit on your teeth and extend the teeth’s exposure to acids.
- Get a professionally applied fluoride treatment from your hygienist.
Image courtesy of tiverylucky/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net